Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Card Class Day 11

If you've been following my blog you'll realize that I jumped from Day 7 of my class to Day 11. There's a couple reasons for that. Some of the ideas and cards really appeal to me and I am anxious to try them. At least one of the days I don;t have the materials necessary to do the technique (although to be fair I haven't watched the video all the way through yet so she may have given an alternative). And I hope to go back and revisit those that I have skipped. One of them I already have background done but haven't gotten around to decorating the cards yet. So last night I started on Day 11 and I finished them this morning.


The rainbows are made from nesting circles dies. So you can get four rainbows out of one die cutting of circle dies. Why do I only have 3 cards? because as I was experimenting with embossing powder I ruined one of my rainbows. More on that it a little bit.


So I die cut my rainbows using my MFT Stitched Circles Stax. I then inked up the circles with distress oxide inks: Candied Apple, Wild Honey, Green Clover, Salty Ocean and Seedless Preserves. Then I cut them in 4ths to get 4 rainbows. I used my MFT Cloud stencil to create the clouds and then inked them with Salty Ocean. I stamped the sentiment from Simon Says Stamps Color and Sunshine (retired). For the word "rainbow" I stamped with 4 different colors of ink. That was a trick they taught us earlier in the class. I used Spectrum Noir Sparkle marker on the rainbow. The layers are popped up with foam tape. So after I had this card done and photographed my DH pointed out that my rainbow abruptly ends. So I am going to fix this by die cutting some additional clouds to cover the abrupt ending.


My second care uses pretty much the same technique as the first but I used a different trick for additional sparkle. Dawn (our instructor) suggested covering the rainbow with glitter embossing powder. I didn't have any but she said that adding glitter to clear powder would work too. So I found that I had two containers of clear embossing powder and I found a package of micro fine glitter that I bought years ago after a workshop that I took and never used it. So I dumped the two together and I had glitter embossing powder. You might be able to see it on the rainbow in this photo but I think you can see it better on the next card. I also embossed the tops of the clouds. This has such a wonderful sparkle to it and the glitter does not rub off all over your hands and clothes. (Although I think my jeans have been embossed with some glitter. I have a tendency of leaning my embossing against my leg when I'm running my heat gun.) The sentiment is from Simon Says Sending Happy Thoughts.


I did this card exactly like the second card above with the embossed glitter but the sentiment is different but from the same Simon Says Sending Happy Thoughts. The card base for this card is light grey. The other cards were white. I am super happy with these card. Dawn also had another way to do rainbows that used color paper scraps. I really want to try that one too. So look out for more rainbow cards. LOL!
I am entering these challenges:

Our weather is bee-utiful today. But tomorrow is supposed to turn stormy. So I am headed outside to soak up some sunshine and take a walk. Yesterday I spent 2 and a half frustrating hours on the phone with my medical insurance. In the end we found out that they had my insurance and my husband's insurance information mixed up. They were billing his to my insurance and mine to our old insurance before he retired last year. I sure hope we finally got this straightened out as his insurance is about to change again when he turns 65 and gets medicare. I have a few more months before that happens. Anyway, if you have good weather please enjoy it. Be safe. Stay well!

Donna

6 comments:

Shelly Schmidt said...

How beautiful! I love the look of the rainbows and have always wanted to try that. Love the rainbow going into the clouds!!!

Lisa Lynn said...

Those rainbows are just gorgeous. You are having such a great time and seem to be learning lots of wonderful techniques.

Lori m said...

Fantastic cards Donna, everyone needs a little Happy Mail these days, beautiful, hugs, Lori m

KandA said...

Fabulous cards and so cheerful with your super rainbows xx

Dawn said...

Loving the rainbows!
Thanks for your lovely entry to the Anything Goes Challenge at QKR Stampede this week!
Good Luck
Crafty Hugs
Dawn xx

Michal D said...

Beautiful cards!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...