Thursday, May 9, 2013

Final Vacation Day and Some Craftiness

Lots of heavy storms rolling through this evening. Hopefully I'll get this post in. Our final day in Hawaii was a quick one. We needed to be at the airport by 3pm. But we stopped a few more places before heading for the airport.
But before we left the condo we had a few pieces of bread left that we threw to the birds. And a few nene (Hawaiian Geese) came to the area. These two reminded me of book ends. They stood very still on one foot for a very long time.




We drove from the northern shores of Princeville toward Lihue and the airport. And we stopped at Lydgate Park. Gorgeous beach and a great place for families to enjoy almost any kind of outdoor activities. There were wonderful playgrounds, lots of beach, and camping and picnic areas.




The reef made this an ideal swimming beach. You can see the waves out further but they never reach the shore on this beach. We had lunch at a little local place called Danni's and then we headed for the airport. Our first flight was from Lihue to Honolulu. We flew on a little prop plane.

We had a several hour lay over in Honolulu before an eight-hour flight to Chicago and another little puddle jumper to Indianapolis. So I hope you enjoyed our pictures of Hawaii.
Just in case you think I had two weeks without crafting that's not exactly true. I took 2 skeins of yarn with me and crocheted 8 7inch by 9 inch rectangles. Our neighborhood is going together to make an afghan for Warm Up America. To make the afghan we need 49 rectangles so I did 8 of them for the afghan. before we left I cut up an old book pages into rectangles. Then I folded the paper and nested the pieces together to make these baskets.

During the trip I actually made the strips and after I returned home I made the strips into rings and then joined the rings into the baskets. The bottoms are made from cardstock. After I fill these they'll go as gifts for the service unit managers next week at our Girl Scout recognition dinner.
And here's a card I made this week for my mother-in-law for Mother's Day.

The image is from Doodle Pantry called Jacaranda. This is part of the Doodle Pantry May release. I used the pre-colored image. The sentiment is from TLC Creations. The embossing folder is Flower Garden. I added 3 strips of purple card stock and a strip of white satin ribbon. I used an OWH sketch.
I'm entering these challenges:
Thanks for stopping. The rain is coming really hard now so it's time to shut down for the night. Hope you have a super Friday!

Donna

7 comments:

Carolina Girl (Cely) said...

Wow....so much in your wonderful post. Amazing how the geese stood still and on one leg. Love the baskets and can't believed you had time to craft while on vacation. The card is gorgeous. I've been wanting to use that image with all the cards I've seen. I'm not on vacation and still don't have time to craft and make a card with that image right now....haha

Stef H said...

yep. those geese do look like bookends! that's a long flight.. which is what has kept me from going to hawaii all these years!

love, love, love those baskets! you surprised me!

love the card. white and purple are such regal colors.

rain here yesterday and today. guess it'll be monday BEFORE my lawn gets mowed and boy does it need it!

have a great weekend.

hugs :)

stampwithsandy said...

Wow, great photos, thanks for sharing! The Hawaiian Geese are so cool. I love crafting on vacation, too. Much more relaxing than at home. Your baskets and your fabulous Mothers Day card are just gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your beautiful creation(s) with us at The Paper Players!

Sandra H said...

Morning Oh wow what a beautiful card and thank you for joining our challenge at Forever Friends "PASTELS" good luck and hope to see you again next time DT Member Sandra H xx

Unknown said...

You are on a serious creatively roll. This card is GORGEOUS! Really love the embossed background.

Dawn Frost said...

Crafting on vacation...priceless! Your card is gorgeous and so are the baskets, love them!

Tanya said...

Fabulous photos, those geese are so funny looking! Your card is beautiful, I love the purple tones :)

Thanks for joining our Fortnightly Challenge at Forever Friends Challenge Blog, good luck in the draw :)

Tanya xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...