Sunday, September 1, 2013

OWH VCMP - Play Along

Welcome to the last challenge for the Operation Write Home Virtual Card Making Party!


I am excited to be chosen as a hostess and hope you will play along with me. My challenge is to use a negative of a die or punch.  I've made a couple of cards for inspiration.

For this card I used Spellbinders Triple Scalloped borders and backed the die cut with a scrap of designer paper. I cut the middle section with a Spellbinders die Labels thirteen. The image placed behind the die cit is called Along the Beach by Crafting with Sue (I could no longer find a blog posting for her). I wanted to spotlight the couple so I colored them with Copics but left the background uncolored. I added the tag for the sentiment using the Hero Arts OWH stamp set. I used faux stitching around the labels thirteen to bring the attention to the image.

My second card also uses Spellbinders dies. This is a flowered stamp and die set.


I die cut the flowers and then used the die cuts stamped and embossed on the base of the card. I was going for fall colors and the olive green flower looks more like it's black in the photo but it really is olive green in real life. The sentiment is also from a Hero Arts OWH stamp set from Hobby Lobby.

So how about participating in my challenge? I have two prizes. I will pick randomly from all comments for one winner and then also pick a random card from those who participate. You have a whole week to participate. The deadline is Sunday, September 8th. I hope you'll play along!

Donna

16 comments:

byAnnette said...

I like how you highlighted the couple by only coloring them.
Thanks for the challenge

Cynthia Rose said...

You did save a hard challenge for last. I hope I can come close to your beautiful card.

Elsie B said...

I sat and thought and thought, and then remembered the Spellbinders ornaments dies. This was a challenge to do, and I think with practice I can get better at it. Thanks for this challenge and for getting us to think of die cuts in a different way. It's after midnight here, so Happy Labor Day!

sherry varga said...

I love your cards. Now if I can figure out out to do this!!! lol

Carolina Girl (Cely) said...

These are waaaayy cool, I love things different and stand out and these both do.

Paula S. said...

Nice sample cards and a fun challenge! I particularly like how you only colored the couple in the image and the texture in the flowers of the second card. Thanks for hosting a challenge in the VCMP!

Stef H said...

love the cards... especially the 1st one!

my computer crashed. i was waiting for it - ugh! at least i have an old one and just had to download alot of the things i had on my new one. fingers crossed until i find $$$ to (1) get the other one fixed or (2) just treat myself to a new one.

til them. i'm here. whew!

hugs :)

Shelly Schmidt said...

Love the look of the image in the die- looks like a spotlight technique. Lovin the dashed lines you added too- hope I can play- for a great cause too!!!

Sybrina K said...

Thanks for hosting -- and for reminding me of a technique I really should use more often.

Carol L said...

Thanks for the fun challenge! It's a great way to use up all the supplies while making cards. I love how you colored just the couple in the first card - what a great idea!

Lori L said...

Thanks for the great challenge. I seldom use my punches this way anymore. Reminds me of card life before I had stamps. Thanks.

Sharon Underwood said...

Thanks for the fantastic challenge and your demonstration. Appreciate it!

craftysahmiam said...

Great challenge and wonderful samples you made. I like just the couple colored in the first sample image.

Lorri At Home said...

I think this was definitely the most challenging one - it is something I never considered doing! I am not over the top excited about the one I made, but I think I will inspect my dies and see of any would work, the couple I did try were just not good enough - TY for making me think on something for a while, it was the most I had to think about a card in a while! TY for hosting! ~Lo

Lee Mae said...

I love your cards! I really enjoyed the challenge. Thanks for hosting!

KindleLover said...

Thanks for the challenge! This is a technique I have been admiring, I just needed a push. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...