Monday, July 15, 2019

It's a Dueling Christmas

The 15th of the month has rolled around again and it's time for the Divas and the Dazzlers to duel. Our hostesses are Suzy (Divas) and Deb (Dazzlers). Thanks to Deb for sending my fun kit. Here's what she wrote:
It's warming up in Texas (and Indiana too), no surprise, it's almost July. The perfect time to start thinking of cooler temps! Our theme is Christmas in July. Suzy and I came up with this idea way back in December when we spent Christmas together. Being still in the "festive" mood... we thought this would be a fun theme to do. Plus, it was the perfect time to go shopping for paper, ribbon, embellishments and more! And by the way.... all on sale!Are we the perfect consumers or what? Here is the recipe:
Image: SU! "I'll be Home"
Gemstones and recipe card: Paper Studio
Ribbon: Offray
Papers: all from Hobby Lobby
The challenge: make a card or two for the holiday season!


I colored the image with American Craft markers. This one was a challenge since there is so much detail. I used two of the designer papers, several embellishments and one of the ribbons. Here's the inside of the card:


I used paper and embellishments to mimic the front of the card. There was a second part to the challenge: share a favorite holiday recipe. I have never had Christmas dinner at my house. I usually get corn or rolls to bring to dinner and don't usually make anything special. I used to bake lots of cookies but now we don;t eat much processed sugar. But there is one recipe that my kids always expect. When they were in school I was asked to come make this with classes of kids and we always sent these for birthday snacks. These days I only make these at Christmas.

Buckeyes
2 cups creamy peanut butter
2 sticks butter, softened
3 1/4 cups (16 oz) powdered sugar
2 cups (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate morsels
2 Ts vegetable shortening
Line baking sheet with wax paper. Mix peanut butter and butter in large bowl until creamy. Mix in the powdered sugar until mixture holds together. I refrigerate this until there is some firmness to it. Shape the mixture into one inch balls. Place on prepared sheet pan. Refrigerate or freeze for about an hour. 
Melt the chocolate and shortening in microwave-safe bowl on HIGH for 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave at additional 10-15 second intervals, stirring just until melted.
Dip peanut butter balls into melted chocolate using a toothpick, leaving a portion of the ball uncovered. Shake off excess chocolate and return to baking sheet.Refrigerate until chocolate is set. Store in covered container in refrigerator.

The buckeye is the state tree of Ohio, which is where I was born and raised. These look like the nut of the buckeye tree.My kids love them! To finish this off I thought I'd share a picture of the kids that would love to have these now.
Arthur                        Valerie

I hope you'll check out what the other Dazzlers and Divas have done. Links are in the right side column. Thanks again to Deb! I used the sketch from The Outlawz Wednesday Sketch challenge.

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you have a great week!

Donna

12 comments:

:: BlueInks :: said...

I like how you did a reverse cut on the DP for the image - that looks great! The pop of blue stands out too. I see some buckeyes in your near future.... :)

Lori m said...

Beautiful card, and yummy recipe, thank you, hugs, Lori m

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

Your coloring is gorgeous on this beauty of a card! Great recipe, too!

terry serman said...

Love the blue on this house and snowflake! Great card!

Pam said...

Beautiful Christmas card inside and out! Love the photos of Arthur and Valerie having fun in the pool. The Buckeyes sound tummy, thank you for the recipe!

Hugs
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Barb said...

So Pretty---I love the bright colors!

Carol W said...

Oh My Donna, your card is so rich looking. Love the colors/and coloring. Great layout. I especially love the pictures of the kids who would love buckeyes...

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

I really, really love the colours that you used on your house. Eye popping and very unique and interesting. Can't wait to see what you do next month.

Shelly Schmidt said...

How festive- love your coloring on the house! And, might I say, I so love buckeyes!!! Yummy!

MiamiKel said...

How lovely! This is one colorful little house! And your kids are super adorable - how fast they grow. Yummy recipe, Donna!

Terry Ladwig said...

Love the bright colors you used! Great card!

HeatherB said...

Super adorable! Love this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...