Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Bring on the White Elephant Gifts

Day 3 at Bugaboo Holiday Chaos is all about gift packaging. Something other than a card. If you follow my blog I did an ornament tag last month for Beccy's challenge. I did two variations on this tag for the Holiday Chaos challenge.


These are made from empty ribbon spools. You can find my original tutorial here. Normally I take one side off the spool and put the image down into the middle of the spool. For the dog and cat ornament I did take the one side of the spool off and sanded down the edges. But then I realized my image wouldn't fit inside the spool so instead I cut the image slightly smaller than the back part of the spool and inked the backed edge with fire brick distress ink. The image is inked with peacock feathers so there is quite a contrast but it's impossible to see in the picture. So that was one variation. It kind of makes a stepping stone look to the tag. On the Rudolph ornament I left the spool completely intact. I still cut my image slightly smaller than the spool and since the spool was red it left a nice red edge when I glued the image onto it. 


Here are the backs of the ornaments. Before adding the paper to the back I put some ribbon for a hanger and then glue the designer paper to the back of the spool. Use a heavy duty glue for this. I usually use my hot glue gun to put the ribbon on and to add the paper I used Gina K Connect glue.  The images I used are from Bugaboo: Reindeer Christmas Goodies and Winter Cat and Puppy Dog. You might notice that I colored the dog in traditional Christmas colors and the cat very differently. Cats seem to go their own way so I colored him in nontraditional colors. 

And here's my tags on the respective gifts. I bought Christmas mugs for each of the grand nieces and nephews, filled them with hot chocolate packages and mini marshmallows. They are wrapped in Christmas cellophane and then tied with a bow. I hung the tag ornaments from the bows. I have a few more of these to make before Christmas. You can decorate them anyway you like so they are fun to make. I am entering these challenges:
I hope to be back this evening with Day 4 of the Holiday Chaos challenge. Trying to keep us but I have a few other jobs to get done this afternoon too. Hope you have a wonderful Tuesday!

Donna

11 comments:

Lisa Lynn said...

Donna, those are gorgeous. Love the wild backs of the ornaments. Thanks for joining in the Catch the Bug Holiday Chaos, Lisa Lynn DT.

Stephanie said...

This is really cute, thanks so much for playing along in Holiday Chaos at Catch The Bug.

craftieodmae said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!

Shelly Schmidt said...

Very nice! This is a great way to use up ribbon spools that are empty! Love the cute images you used too. I keep forgetting to say- thanks for joining in the Holiday Chaos challenge at Catch the Bug!
Shelly GDT

Donna Ellis said...

Darling tags on your pretty presents, Donna! I love the bright colors, and festive look of the wrapping papers and ribbons with your cheerful critters! So glad I got to see your critter project showcased at the 2 Crafty Critter Crazies Challenge. Thanks for supporting us, and we hope to see more of your pretty creations in the future. Please check back to see if you are a winner or A Designer Favorite. Sending you wishes for a wonderful day!
Smiles,
Donna
{Creative Smiles - my little crafting world}

AO Creations said...

Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at CCAYR, good luck!!! Amy DT

Kath said...

Fabulous Christmas tags and a great tutorial too. Thank you for sharing at Christmas Crafts All Year Round.
Kath x

Annemi said...

What a great way to reuse those empty ribbonspools. They are just adorable. Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.
Regards,
Ann-Marie
TTCRD DT
Annemi {My Blog}
Through The Craft Room Door
ttcrd.blogspot.com

Cindy said...

Cute little gifts. Thanks for sharing with us at CCAYR. Happy New Year!

Suze said...

Fantastic idea for your recycled tags. Thank you for joining in the Reindeer Games challenge at Scribbles Designs and apologies for the late comment.

Pat said...

Very clever gifting idea. I just may have to steal, I mean Case your project. LOL Thanks for sharing with us at Scribbles Designs Challenge Blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...