Monday, January 27, 2020

My First Quilling Attempt

I didn't think I'd have any other posts this month as we are on vacation. I really didn't bring much with me for paper crafting but I brought a beginner kit for quilling with me. And low and behold they have a craft group that meets on Monday mornings. I met a woman who taught me some of the basics of quilling so I thought I'd share my first attempt.


This is a poinsettia pattern that was in the quilling kit. I've never tried this before and it's fairly easy once you get the hang of it. One of the other things that I brought with me was files with stamped images that have been lying around for a while. I found this sentiment in my Christmas file and decided to use it on a card with the quilling. The sentiment is a freebie from Beccy's Place and I had already had the black card stock backing on it, so that worked out well because I didn't bring any colored card stock. I did bring a few pieces of white card stock so I was able to make a base. So that's my first quilling project. I've also made a quilled snowflake that I'll make into a card once I get home. I am entering these challenges:

I thought I'd share with you the sunrise this morning.

The dark figures on the right are campers in the campground we are staying in. You can almost see the sunrise from our camper. We have to walk a few feet to see this gorgeous scene every morning. Such a hardship. LOL! We have had a lot of wind since we have been here. In fact we had a wind storm the day we arrived and there is supposed to be another later this week. We will leave here first thing on Friday morning. We'll make a stop in North Carolina to visit some family and should return home by mid next week. I'm not looking forward to returning to the cold weather but I am looking forward to my bed. Have a super week. I'll return in February!

Donna

11 comments:

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

A beautiful card, well done on your first attempt.

Sue xx

KT Fit Kitty said...

Oh Wow, you learned how to do quilling! I've always been fascinated with this technique but never found out how to do it. It seems so mysterious and looks time-intensive but I would say well worth it! Love the gorgeous poinsettias! Now you have a Christmas card all ready to go and you didn't miss out on Rudolph Days! I'm going to try not to miss it this year. Your view is gorgeous! Sounds like you're enjoying yourself!

Lori m said...

Donna gorgeous quill card, one thing I've never attempted. Thank you for sharing the beautiful photo, it almost warms me up as I sit here shivering. Today we had snow, ice, wind and rain all in one day, weird winter for sure here in NY. Enjoy, hugs, Lori m

scrappymo! said...

Your card looks wonderful. How great that you learned a new card technique,
I have looked at the quilled cards at my local paper craft store and admired the beauty of that work. Yours is another beauty like that!


The sentiment is so lovely too.

Where are you camping with that beautiful view to admire each day? I love that photo of your view!

Thanks for taking part in the January Rudolph Days Challenge.

Stef H said...

absolutely gorgeous card. great job on the quilling. way better then i could ever do.

have a fun filled & safe vacation.

hugs

flossbite said...

Great card, very nice quilling. Thanks for sharing with us at Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

oh, I love the sentiment panel at the top and wow, your quilling looks fabulous! I love the look and I tried it once but I gave up because of my hands. Thank you so much for playing along with the Rudolph Days Challenge!
Linda
Rudolph Days DT

cohenna said...

Beautiful! Thanks so much for participating in the Christmas Crafts All Year Challenge this time and good luck :)

Beccy said...

Your card is awesome Donna, especially considering you didn't have a lot to work with. I love the quilled poinsettias, they're very impressive, especially for a first time effort. I really like the addition of the banner at the top, which balances the design perfectly.
Sorry to hear your vacation has come to an end Donna, it must have been wonderful waking up to such a picturesque view every morning. I do understand the call of your own bed though... enjoy!
Cheers,
Beccy

KT Fit Kitty said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog, Donna! I am happy to know you made it home safely! I hope your eye infection heals quickly so you can get back to crafting! I bet those grand-twins missed you! Sending healing vibes your way!

Glenda Atkins said...

Lovely quilling card, good for you adventuring into a new way to craft a card. Looks really great to me. That is one awesome photo, the world is indeed a beautiful place.
hugs
Glenda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...